Thursday, June 27, 2013

Violet's NICU story


So two days after we left the hospital we got the news that we had to return for a stay in the NICU for several days because of Violet's jaundice levels. Turns out that Steve and I have incompatible blood types and this was just an unfortunate side effect. Any future children we have could have this issue as well.

I thought we were just going to the hospital for a bilirubin check but, after we waited for her results, they sent us right upstairs to the NICU to be admitted.  Her levels were a 22. You have to be admitted at a 19.

Then I thought we would just be there for a few hours and the nurse says "Oh no honey, you'll be here for days!".

Cue my tears.

About four people immediately began hooking her up to monitors and settling her in under lights. The doctor was already in there but I don't think I heard a word he said. They told us to go downstairs and get some lunch while they got her situated and we complied. I cried nonstop all the way to the cafeteria, all over my hamburger and all the way back upstairs.

And then I saw this.



And my tears stopped.

My trooper of a daughter was livin' it up. She didn't seem to mind the extra attention at all.



And as long as she was ok. I was ok.

Fortunately they were able to offer us a room at the Ronald McDonald house in the hospital so we could stay close by. Our routine consisted of nursing Violet for about an hour, going back to our room to sleep for about 1 1/2 hours and then getting back up to go to feed her again. Nonstop. For three days.

Our little superstar:)




I did not wash my hair. I did not put on makeup. I had milk stains on my clothes. And I did not care one bit.

This was my realization that I was now a mom.

Finally going home to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment